THE PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE.

Sane, constructive and without political bias is the President's message to Congress. Its clear, common-sense views on the conditions of the country should convince the gossip-mongers that Woodrow Wilson is far from being a back number.

The President does not hedge on the issues facing the nation; there is no beating around the bush. He suggests the budget system as a vital need in this time of vast expenditures. The necessity of such a system has been long realized; it has been blocked right along by the "pork-barrel" specialists in the House. The question of simplified income taxes shows that while the President has been in the sick-bed he has not lost the "common touch." He comes out in favor of a tariff revision that will enable foreign countries to pay off their vast debts to us; at the same time he points out the desirability of fostering our great dyestuff industry that was created during the war.

His suggestion regarding Bolsheviks and agitators should please those who have been quaking in fear of revolution, and his statement that "Labor must no longer be treated as a commodity" is a fair and just rejoinder to those who feel that freedom is a dead principle in America.

In talking of social unrest the President hits the nail on the head when he says that it is caused by the continued state of war; by the fact that peace is still in abeyance. Nothing that the President has said is truer than that the causes of the present turmoil "are superficial rather than deep-seated," and that the ratification of the Treaty will remove many of those causes.

For fearlessness and two-fisted Americanism the President's message cannot be surpassed. The enemies of the Executive will find it difficult to oppose the stand he takes on most of the questions now before the country for solution. It would be far better for the nation if those enemies would bury their hatred and partizanship and get to work.