1923 SKATERS REPORT TODAY

PLAN INTERDORMITORY TEAMS TO ACCOMMODATE SURPLUS OF PLAYERS.

Candidates for the Freshman hockey team will meet in the Union for the first time tonight at 7.30 o'clock. Captain N. S. Walker, Jr., '20, will address the yearlings and give them a general outline of the season's work. It is planned to make the meeting as short as possible, and manager L. T. Lanman '20 will be the only other speaker of the evening.

The management expects to have the 1923 squad out on the ice as soon as the Soldiers Field rinks are in good enough shape to accommodate the yearling as well as the University team. The announcement of a coach for the Freshmen will be made within the next few days, but it has been decided that Coach Claflin will be in charge of the University squad only.

Form Dormitory Sevens.

This year there will be an endeavor to cut as few men as practicable from the 1923 squad, and to form dormitory teams from those who fail to make the first seven. This change is due to the attitude of the Department of Physical Training, which aims to have every Freshman engaged in the form of exercise which suits him best.

This afternoon the manager candidates for the yearling team will meet in the H. A. A. at 1.15, where P. Hofer '21, assistant manager of the University seven, will describe the work of the competition.

The University hockey sound was yesterday given an enforced rest because of the poor condition of the rinks.

Yale Handicapped on Ice.

At the first call for the Yale hockey squad only 85 candidates reported as against the 52 that answered the University's initial call. The first practice of the season was held yesterday in the Gymnasium, and it is not expected that the team will get on the ice much before Christmas.

Manager G. D. Saunders of the Yale hockey team has given out the following statement: "The hockey team is under a great handicap because of the inactivity of the old New Haven Arena, and at present we have no rink. On account of our predicament we are arranging no extensive schedule and our season will close by February 15. It seems altogether likely that the team will make a trip through Canada during the Christmas vacation.