WAR CHANGED BRITISH COLLEGE

GIBBS DESCRIBED EFFECT OF BATTLE ON OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE.

"Oxford and Cambridge were completely wiped out in the very first days of the war," said Phillip Gibbs, the British war correspondent when interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter soon after his arrival in Boston yesterday. "When the storm burst we had only our small regular army of about seven divisions known as the "contemptible." Two hundred and fifty students from Cambridge joined this army as despatch riders, not waiting to receive commissions. The service these men rendered was huge. They were the only motorcycle despatch carriers and accomplished wonders in the retreat from Mons, riding straight into the unknown German gas until they dropped from their machines. These men were exceptions, however, for the volunteer army of Kitchener was officered entirely from University men and public school boys from Eton, Rugby, Winchester and similar institutions. Barely a month was devoted to training these lads so great was the pressure at first. The bulk of their training was received on the gruelling field of battle, and the losses were terrific.

Practical Studies Now at Premium.

"The universities after being deserted by the students were turned into officers training schools and remained barracks until three weeks ago. A change is setting in those institutions. The old sporting frivolousness is being replaced by earnest endeavor. I think the classics will dwindle and in their stead practical studies such as sociology, political economy, will be sought by these boys who have been in touch with the realities of life. Those officers who have been lucky enough to escape destruction with serious gravity bitten into their character, when they return to their studies will act as a leaven among the new undergraduate bodies.

Mr. Gibbs also mentioned the esteem in which our soldiers were held in England and ended by saying that "the British have a strong respect for the American universities and in their behalf I greet Harvard with the greatest reverence."