OFF THE COAST OF IRELAND.

There was something Homeric in the venture of Pilot Hawker and Commander Grieve in their Sopwith machine. Flinging away their landing carriage and deliberately avoiding steamship lanes, they undertook a voyage, as perilous as any since the days of Columbus and Cabot. What a continuous flight of twenty hours must mean is clear to anyone who has spent with the hum of engines throbbing in his ears, even three hours in the air. Our wonder increases when we consider that this longest flight yet attempted was made in a plane with only one engine, little chance of floating if forced to descend, still less of being picked up, and a safe landing next to impossible.

In spite of the fact that the aeroplane carrying the two aviators met with adversity a short distance off the coast of Ireland, the greatest part of the broad Atlantic was successfully crossed. Although we should liked to have seen the American Navy carry off the honor of first accomplishing the almost incredible flight, we hope that the judges of the "London Daily Mail" transatlantic contests will recognize the momentous significance of being pioneers in such a hazardous enterprise, and award the Australian aviators the $50,000 which they deserve for virtually accomplishing the tremendous task they undertook.