American-Republican.

Communication

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

A Freshman Daniel come to judgment: "let every man, if he be a true American, take his stand with the party among whose leaders Governor Calvin Coolidge and Mayor Ole Hanson stand foremost." A Harvard Speaker Sweet! Those who are Democrats, or who are for the man and not for the party, must feel themselves out in the cold with the foolish virgins or over on Deer Island with the Reds. Perhaps, outcasts that we are, we may point out that party is a means and not an end; that the good American, the intelligent American, votes the Republican or Democratic ticket not because he is a Republican or Democrat, but because he wishes to see the best man in office with the best principles to the fore. There are few permanent differences between the two. New issues are adopted almost year by year, and the qualities of a party's services to the nation changes as regularly. Once, the Democratic party supported slavery; now the Republican leaders seem to favor Toryism. The only way on choosing between the two is to sit "on the fence" until the issues are clearly defined, the candidates chosen and the platforms framed. Then vote for the best.

Of course, the man who sits "on the fence" might fall off backwards and on the wrong side. But that depends. He would if he were reactionary with a tendency to lean backwards. He would not if he were fair-minded enough and had a sense of balance. It is even conceivable that he might fall forwards.  W. E. MILLS '22,  E. SEAVER '2