BUSINESS OF CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY SHOWS LARGE GAINS

Half-Yearly Report Reveals Increase of $190,000 Over 1918.

The business of the Harvard Co-operative Society continues to make large gains, according to the Society's half-yearly report, which has just been issued by the Directors. There is every indication that when net profits and dividends are computed at the end of the College year they will be found to be the largest in the history of the Society.

The report states that the total sales from July 1 to December 31, 1919, amounted to $462,455.39, of which $360,-494.33 represented business at the Main Store, while the balance was made up of sales at the Technology Branch. The total sales represent an increase of about $190,000 over the business of the corresponding period in 1918.

The largest gains have been in the book and stationery departments. Sales of books at the two stores amounted to nearly $150,000 during this six months' period.

The Society's membership on December 31, 1919, amounted to 5963, of whom 3315 were Harvard members and 2648 Technology members. The total membership last year was 2887.

Plans for a new building to replace the Society's main store in Harvard Square have been prepared and arrangements are being made to proceed with these plans during the summer of 1921 if building conditions become stabilized by that time.