ACROSS THE FRONTIER

For the first time in eight years the President of Mexico has visited the United States in an official capacity. For the first time in eight years, a passenger train has crossed the Border, so long zealously guarded by our armed forces. It is to be hoped that this auspicious event is the beginning of a new era in the history of the two countries, one of increased friendship and mutual respect.

Mexico seems at last to be on the right road; not since the days of Diaz has such peace and quiet reigned in our neighbor to the south. But in the prosperous days that bid fair to come, there will be this great difference--the iron hand of Diaz is to be replaced by the will of the people, in accordance with the common ideals of the joint Americas. General Obregon is the "man of destiny." In his power it lies to make Mexico the thriving and civilized nation to which her natural endowments entitle her. Surely the warm welcome which he received on all hands while in El Pase will do much to give the new government that confidence in our hearty co-operation without which their struggle for better things would be rendered far more difficult.