SECONDS YIELD ONLY TWO TOUCHDOWNS TO MADE-OVER REGULARS

1924 FACES UNIVERSITY IN FIRST SCRIMMAGE TODAY

Fighting even harder than the day before, the second team held the University eleven to two touchdowns yesterday afternoon in the stiffest, most bruising session that has been held behind the closed gates this fall. Head Coach Fisher made several rather radical changes which, however, are presumably only of a temporary nature unless the new combination develops unusual strength.

Backfield Renovated

When the scrimmage began, Humphrey and Hamilton held down the halfback positions previously held by Churchill and Owen. Buell, instead of Johnson, was running the team at quarter with Captain Horween playing fullback as usual. The shake-up in the line resulted in shifting Tolbert over to guard, displacing Brown. Eastman stepped into the empty tackle position, Kane was reinstated in his old berth at end in place of Crocker. Havemeyer, Woods, Faxon and Gaston retained their regular assignments.

Macomber Snatches Pass

Macomber, substituting at end, scored the first touchdown after catching a long forward pass while practicaly surrounded by second team players. He completed the pass by virtue of a spectacular leap in the air, and then, squirming free from the Black-jerseyed backfield, dashed 30 yards, crossing the goal line. The second and final touchdown was made by Kunhardt, who had been substituted at center. The first team was lined up under the scrubs' goal posts when one of the backs who was trying to plug a hole through the second team's line, fumbled. The pile of players was pulled apart, the ball was found to be over the line and in the hands of Kunhardt.

Seconds Play Formidably

Coach Knox's team, far from being disheartened after their trouncing Tuesday, showed lots of punch in the offensive and charged fiercely, making 4 first downs and threatening the University goal line several times. Their defensive playing is improving daily and they are developing a powerful offensive machine.

The line-up of the first team yesterday was: center, Havemeyer; guards, Woods and Tolbert; tackles, Faxon and Eastman; ends, Gaston and Kane; quarterback, Buell; fullback, Horween; halfbacks, Humphrey and Hamilton.

1924 Primed for University

After Tuesday's sharp scrimmage, Coach Ryan gave his Freshman charges a light practice yesterday in preparation for the stiff scrimmage this afternoon with the University eleven. Only 40 men are now reporting for the Freshman team, all others having been recently out.

A long session in the coach's room preceded the practice yesterday. The usual routine of tackling, blocking and backfield work was followed by a half-hour dummy scrimmage, in which were introduced several new plays. Special attention was given this dummy workout, from which the teams seemed to make material progress in charging and smoothness of play.

A brisk signal session completed the workout. Teams A and B running through their plays in rapid succession for a steady 20 minutes. The scrimmage with the First Team tomorrow will be hard, but a very important step in the development of the Freshman team.

W. N. Gates '24, who was injured in Tuesday's scrimmage, will not be able to play today, and his place will be taken by P. S. Sprague '24. The team will line up as follows: P. S. Sprague, l.e.; H. S. Grew Jr., l.g.; D. S. Holden, l.f.; R. C. Storey, c.; E. K. McCagg, r.g.; B. M. Henry, r.t.; L. C. Larabee, r.e.; J. J. Lee, q.b.; T. M. Carnegle, l.h.b.; Gherke, f.b.; P. Jenkins, r.h.b.