PIERIAN SODALITY TO HOLD ANNUAL TRIALS AT 7.30 P.M.

Candidates to Report in Music Building--Extensive Season Planned--Orchestra of 60 Pieces

The Pierian Sodality will hold its annual trials for the orchestra in the Music Building tonight at 7.30. All men who play orchestral instruments are invited to appear at the trials.

The plans for the coming season include four concerts at prominent Boston clubs as well as concerts at Marblehead, Annisquam, Brookline, Wellesley, Brockton and Wheaton College. There will probably be a Christmas trip in addition to the usual spring one.

Mr.E. Hoffmann '18, a member of the Pierian from 1914 until 1918, who is now a first violinist in the Boston Symphony Orchestra, will conduct. Both popular and symphonic music will be played. It is expected that the number of pieces in the orchestra will number almost 60. Thirty men will go on the trips.

The Sodality, which this year begins its 113th season, was responsible for the founding of the Music Department at Harvard University in 1870. The Pierian Sodality, through its graduate members, was also instrumental in prompting the late Major Henry Lee Higginson '55 to found the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

At the trials last night, about 30 players reported and had their trials. There is still room, however, for about 40 more men to try out. The results of both trials will be announced in the CRIMSON.