In Which the Editor Receives Some Friendly Advice From an Irish Sympathizer

Communication

To the Editorial Writer of the CRIMSON:

As a graduate of a sister college, and as a member of a family proud of two generations of Harvard men, I should like to call to your attention a few mature thoughts inspired by a recent editorial in your paper.

In no uncertain terms you denounced an attack made upon your College on Sunday night, September 26. The attack was hard to swallow, and aroused your wrath. Let us suppose for the sake of argument that the attack was true--that one of the most famous institutions for higher learning in America, the land of the free, does in spirit espouse the cause of the same military tyranny from which we so proudly rescued ourselves 150 years ago. If that is true, would not silence have been your safest weapon in concealing Harvard's shame?

If the accusation was untrue, as I believe it was, why did you not calmly bring forth your proofs and show that your Alma Mater was a worthy instructor of true sons of democracy? Your calmness would have made a pleasing contrast to the bitterness of your accuser.

But, no, neither of these wise-things did you do. With the rashness of youth you rush into print with an editorial which plays right into your accuser's hand. You yourself prove beyond the shadow of a doubt to an intellectual world no longer as narrow-minded and provincial as it used to be, that every word uttered against you was true, that you are indeed (if your statements reflect the sentiment of your college) a hot-bed of despicably British Toryism. When the so-called "loyal coalition" can quote you, you have indeed reached heights of ignorant bigotry and falsehood.

I refuse, however, to believe that your thoughts reflect those of the real men at Harvard, and so I find myself narrowed down to the personal equation. As I read your article these were some of the thoughts about you which filled my mind.

1. This boy never passed through the purifying flames of a war for world democracy.

2. He has read comparatively little (if any) history.

3. He has not yet learned to think straight, honestly, justly, unselfishly.

4. I wonder what his forefathers were doing about the year 1775?

5. I wonder why a good American espouses the cause of English Tories, a group of people who either would not recognize him, or who if they did for the sake of gaining their purposes would do so in a sickeningly patronizing and scornful way? This part of the picture always makes me smile.

6. Do you know that at the present time it is difficult for Americans to go through England without being frequently insulted "because we did nothing in the war?"

7. I should suggest (if you are big enough) your reading "Ireland" (the Republic edition), by Francis Hackett.

8. Always remember that an editor only loses by losing his temper.

9. My dear boy, think for yourself, be an American, and don't be a today. Most intelligent people today realize for almost the first time that the cause of Ireland is exactly parallel to that of the American colonies, so that it is hardly possible to talk against one without disloyalty to the other. HELEN TAFF.

P. S. I should be so interested to hear how you like Hackett's book. I think you are big enough to read it.

October 4, 1920.