ASIA AGAIN

Since Premier Hughes' statement that his country is prepared to fight for a "White Australia," the question of Asiatic immigration has lain dormant, at least in so far as the public eye can observe. Evidently no one has dared to broach the subject after the Premier's fiery outburst,--thinking it best to "let sleeping dogs lie."

But now Senator Lodge has dragged the question into prominence once more. He has not only denounced the "open door" policy as a menace, but has even gone so far as to pledge the Harding administration to action in accordance with his point of view. The Senator has spoken too hastily. Granted that the situation is a difficult one, and that California has so far been practically unsuccessful in her handling of it: still there is as yet no adequate reason for raising such a hue and cry. Until the time for action arrives, it is worse than useless to parade our grievances in public. The result is only too likely to be the rekindling of the flames of anger and stubbornness in both Japan and America--names which will prevent any peaceable settlement of the problem. If legislation may prove to be the remedy, why stir up excitement and antagonism by the cry of "wolf, wolf!"? Mr. Lodge is carrying a "big stick," but he is not walking softly.

It is hard, too, to believe that the Senator has been personally delegated as Mr. Harding's official spokesman. Yet he is confidently promising what shall and shall not be done by the administration during the next four years, and his confidence has carried him far. No good ever came or is likely to come from promises so freely given, especially when they deal with international disputes and racial prejudices. There are times when words accomplish more harm than good. Senator Lodge is a clever statesman, but he seems to have forgotten, for the time being, diplomacy and tact.