HONOR MEMORY OF JOHN HARVARD IN EXERCISES TODAY

EXERCISES WILL BE HELD AT 8.30; SERVICE AT 8.45

Exercises in honor of the 313th anniversary of the birth of John Harvard will be held under the auspices of the Harvard Memorial Society today. At 8.30 all the members of the University are invited to gather in front of the famous founder's statue in the Delta near Memorial Hall. D. T. W. McCord '21, treasurer of the Society, and Theodore Dunham '21, archivist of the Society, will place wreaths upon the statue, and Hamilton MacFadden '21, secretary of the Society, will deliver a short address. Then the audience, including one hundred members of the University Glee Club, will sing "Fair Harvard." After that, at 8.45, there will be a special John Harvard service held in Appleton Chapel.

Few of the present day students in the University understand the extent or the character of the service rendered to the University by John Harvard. This Englishman set sail for Massachusetts in 1637, after he had gained the titles of "Bachelor" and "Master" in Emmanuel College, Cambridge University, England. At once he settled near Boston in a district known at that time as Charlestowne and immediately became so interested in the college which had been established at Newtowne in the previous year by order of the General Court that he donated half of his estate, $3900, a large sum in those days, and a library of 300 volumes to the college. For this reason, the institution was named Harvard College in 1639.