AN INSTITUTE OF POLITICS

The influence of educational institutions in our national life is growing every year. Williams College has the distinction of offering expansion in a new field--that of politics--through a plan suggested by President Garfield. During the summer months will be held sessions of the new Institute of Politics for the purpose of study in political affairs both national and international. It is proposed to bring together a "selected company of eminent scholars and special students" from the faculties of American colleges; in addition, men of international reputation will be invited. Lectures, conferences and round table discussions will be the method of study, which next summer is to be devoted particularly to international problems. An unknown benefactor has relieved the Institute of financial worries for three years; and with the announcement that Ambassador Davis is taking with him to London an invitation to Lord Robert Cecil to be present at its opening session, the Institute seems to be in the hands of energetic men who are sure to bring it the success it deserves.