LEONARD WOOD

Recognizing in General Leonard Wood all the qualities that go to make up military and executive ability, the special committee, appointed by the League of Nations to find some means of saving Armenia has picked him as the man most able to deal effectively with the matter. Under the present plan General Wood would be made High Commissioner of Armenia. He would be instructed by the League as to the general policy to be followed, and would be expected to strengthen Armenia so that she could defend herself, yet restrain her from becoming too aggressive in her turn. If he accepts the position, he will be asked to assume his duties immediately.

General Wood's long record as a doctor and a soldier fit him peculiarly for this task. In Cuba and the Philippines he has solved much the same sort of sanitation and general relief problems that exist in Armenia, as well as demonstrating his capabilities as an executive. In the army camps before and during the World War he has shown his power of organization, his grasp of details, and his popularity as a leader.

The League has picked its man well. If anyone can cut the Gordian Knot of the Near East, it is Leonard Wood.