CONLEY'S BOXING CLASS POPULAR

Four Sections Practice Daily--Many of Last Year's Winners Return

Boxing is proving one of the most popular of the indoor sports in the University. Over 200 men are reporting three times a week in the boxing room of the Hemenway Gymnasium to Coach Larry Conley for instruction. In the first three classes of the afternoons, there are about 30 men to a class, while at four o'clock the class has nearly fifty members. Besides this there is a private class held at 5 o'clock on three days.

The afternoon's work is divided into four periods, of which the first ten minutes of each session are taken up by instruction in directing and blocking different blows. After this, the men are put through a round of shadow boxing at half speed in which the blows, hooks and appetents as explained in the preliminary work are tried out. This work is followed by shadow boxing at full speed in which special attention is paid to footwork. Then the men are split up in pairs and work at half speed for three or four rounds. In this way they are given a chance to try the punches, and are not afraid to black them, and as a result develop much faster than under any other plan. As a result of the use of this method last year, three Freshman beginners won championships in their respective classes. This work will continue until the University tournament is held in March.

Experienced material is available and Coach Conley is satisfied that quite a few expert boxers will take part in the annual boxing tournament. All of the men who won the championship of their class have returned to college this year except P. D. Steele '20 and A. Gagliolo '23 of the 175 and 145-pound classes respectively. The following men working out this year won championships in their classes last year: R. M. Sedgwick '21, heavyweight; E. D. Weatherhead '22, J. O. Stubbs '21, H. J. Freedman '23 and F. J. Fox '22 in the 160, 135, 125 and 115 pound classes respectively.