REPRESENTING COLLEGE OPINION

The CRIMSON has the responsible and exacting position of being the only University daily. While the Advocate and Lampoon represent at times, other phases of undergraduate opinion, their specialized functions, and the fact that they appear monthly and semi-monthly respectively, place them at a disadvantage as vehicles for the expression of College viewpoint. And so far, no rival daily paper expressing views opposite to those of the CRIMSON has appeared at Harvard.

Unlike a city which has several competing newspapers, each standing for the interests of some group in the community, the University has to depend for its daily journalistic representation on one paper. In order that this representation may be as true a one as possible there should be on the board men standing for all possible points of view. Inasmuch, however, as Harvard probably contains more different types than any other American college, it would be impossible for a paper to adopt a consistent policy satisfying every type. And to be self-respecting any newspaper must have a consistent policy.

In order that the policy of the CRIMSON may in the fullest measure express general undergraduate opinion, it is necessary that it be carried into effect by the blending of as varied points of view as possible. There are many men at Harvard who believe that the CRIMSON does not now express undergraduate opinion. For these men, two courses are open. Either they should start a rival paper or they may strive to make the CRIMSON more representative.

Today the annual spring competitions for the board begins. To those who do not see their way to starting a paper in opposition to the present College, daily, the opportunity to make the CRIMSON more what they believe it ought to be is thrown open. From the successful candidates in these spring competitions will be chosen the future officers of the paper. It is not only for the advantage of the CRIMSON; but for the University as a whole, that they should be selected from the largest possible number of contestants representing every branch of University thought and activity.