WRESTLERS WIN CLOSE CONTEST

SPRINGFIELD BEATEN BY MARGIN OF ONE BOUT IN MATCH ON SATURDAY.

By the narrow margin of one bout, the University wrestling team Saturday defeated the Springfield College wrestlers with a score of 18 to 14. The feature of the meet was the well-fought match, in which Captain J. A. MacDonell '21 secured a fall over Abbott, his Springfield opponent, in the 145-pound class by using a clever body scissors.

Victory was not assured the Crimson until the final bout, in which J. F. Brown '22, in the heavyweight class, tackled Denny of Springfield and gained a fall in less than five minutes with a half-nelson and wrist-lock. Another exciting tussle occurred earlier in the meet when Arms, captain of the visitors, won a decision over Parsonnet in the 158-pound class after two extra periods.

The summary:

115-pound class, Anderson, Springfield, won over H. B. Walker '22 by a fall in 8 minutes, 55 seconds; 125-pound class, B. B. Corson Occ. gained a decision over Staley of Springfield; 135-pound class, C. P. Smith '21 won by decision over Whitney of Springfield; 145-pound class, Captain J. A. MacDonell '21 won by a fall over Abbott, Springfield, in 6 minutes, 10 seconds; 158-pound class, Captain Arms of Springfield won by decision from T. L. Parsonnet '22; 175-pound class. Mooney, Springfield, won by a fall over S. Scheinfein '21, 6 minutes, 15 seconds; heavyweight, J. F. Brown '22 won by fall over Denny, 5 minutes, 20 seconds.

Score--University, 18; Springfield, 14. Referee--Arthur Mather. Timers--Brown and Giles. Time of bouts--9 minutes. Scoring--Fall counted 5, a decision 4 points.

Tonight the University wrestling team will meet M.I.T. at Technology at 7.30. The feature of the meet will be a bout in the 145-pound class, in which Captain MacDonell will tackle Butler, who holds the intercollegiate championship of New England in his weight. The Crimson Captain has been undefeated for some time, and has had no difficulty this year in overcoming his opponents on the Tufts and Springfield teams.