1921 AND THE YARD.

Little attempt is made at Harvard to develop "Class Spirit." After the Freshman year, the undergraduates drift into certain groups, guided more by congeniality than any though of Class. This is entirely natural, and is the best way of forming friendships, but it leaves the Class at the end of the Junior year with little unity. To allow this condition to continue after graduation would be regrettable, as the Class is the strongest link between the graduate and the college. Class reunions and dinners are what bring him back to Cambridge and keep him in touch with Harvard.

In order to re-unite the Senior Class before the separation which must come at Commencement, the custom of rooming in the Yard during the last year at college has grown up. The purpose of this is not to force unnatural friendships, for companionship with an uncongenial man can never be engendered by artificial means. But it is based on the fact that the continual contact, even though entirely superficial, which comes from constantly rubbing up against other members of the class tends to produce a distinct Class consciousness. If this end is to be gained, it is essential that not a fraction, but the whole of the Class of 1921 room in the Yard next year.