SUMMER CAMP OPENS JUNE 17

ARTILLERY INSTRUCTION TO BE GIVEN FOR SIX WEEKS AT CAMP KNOX.

Twenty-one universities and colleges, among which are the University, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Oregon, University of Chicago, and Leland Stanford, will be represented at the summer R. O. T. C. Artillery Camp to be held for six weeks beginning June 17, at Camp Knox, Kentucky. Men who go from the unit established here will receive transportation from Cambridge to the camp and return, mess, lodging, and regulation outage clothing free. Men must take underclothing and toilet articles, and a certain quantity of athletic equipment is also advised.

Candidates from this unit will be assigned to the Senior Basic Course which consists of a regular artillery course of officers. Such subjects will be studied as mounted and unmounted drill, equitation, signaling, military courtesy, minor tactics, target and gallery practice with pistols, sub-calibre and service practice with artillery.

Expense Negligible.

The cantonment which is to be the only one of its kind in the country is exceedingly well constructed and gives promise of being very successful. The best of the officers now serving as instructors at the various artillery schools will be in command and the material, as well as the horses, will be the best available. The Camp will be of very little expense to the men for they will only have to provide for their personal wants. The training will deal chiefly with the points of greatest importance in artillery and not with the smaller matters pertinent to the subject. There will be no camp work such as kitchen police.

Athletics will form an important part of the life and men will be given plenty of time for recreation. The camp is not to be run on a war basis, with the stress and strain of the war training camps, but men are assured of every opportunity for sports.

Attendance at the camp by those taking the military science course in the University is purely voluntary, but in order to obtain a second lieutenant's commission in the reserves, each man must have, in addition to the college courses, summer camp work.