5 SENIORS NAMED FOR P. B. K. IN FIRST SPRING ELECTIONS

MARKS MAIN CONSIDERATION

At the annual early spring elections of the University chapter of Phi Beta Kappa held last week, the following five Seniors were voted members of the Society: Warren Everett Blake of Newton. Wiliam Collar Holbrook, of Cambridge; Oliver Prescott of New Bedford; Luther Wesley Smith of Roxbury; Royal Henderson Snow of Chicago, III.

These names are in alphabetical order, not in order of election.

Every spring the Society elects a maximum of five Seniors in addition to the twenty-two elected in the fall, who have failed for legitimate reasons, such as illness, to attain a position among the first. All men who appear reasonably eligible are given careful consideration, a special committee investigates and reports on the academic records of the men, and individual sponsors likewise report all information gathered.

Literary Attainments Considered

In the elections participation in "outside college activities," is not permitted to weigh in a man's favor, out of justice for those who may have been prevented from attaining a better record through work outside the confines of the college community. Scholarship attainment, as evidenced by the office grades, is first and last the only consideration; but in cases where, judged by grades alone, many are tied and the last stand not far from the first, other evidences of intellectual ability are used to give greater significance to grades, such as the winning of prizes, newspaper work of a literary order, and other marked attainments in the field of literature. The results of the elections are submitted for approval to a graduate committee headed by President Lowell.

Five additional members will be elected to the Society at Commencement, from those winning prizes; the honors, and distinctions.