700 STUDENTS AID IN FORMING OF NEW POST

MEMBERSHIP STILL OPEN

Speaking before what Colonel Edward L. Logan '97 characterized as "the largest meeting of any Post which he had attended in Massachusetts," Major-General Clarence Edwards, and Colonel Logan both andorsed the formation of the James A. Shannon Post of the American Legion in the Living Room of the Union last night. President Lowell presided over the meeting, while Professor Theodore Lyman '98, and Professor W. B. Munro '99, both outlined the plans for the definite formation of the new Post.

More than 700 students attended the meeting, while nearly 300 of the ex-service men signed cards signifying their desire to join the Shannon Post. President Lowell opened the meeting by saying that it was peculiarly appropriate that the Post should be named after Colonel Shannon, who was "one of the most gallant men we have come in contact with." He then introduced Professor W. B. Munro.

Post to maintain ideals.

"The purpose of the Legion," said Professor Munro," is to perpetuate and maintain the ideals for which this war was fought. We are establishing a Post at Harvard to encourage men at college to belong, who would not otherwise join any post. By this means also we hope to perpetuate the memory of a man we loved greatly and who was of great service to his college and country."

General Edwards was next introduced by President Lowell, and added his endorsement to the new Post. He compared the American Legion to the G. A. R., and said: "The men who fought are the hope of the country, and they should all get behind the American Legion. College men can contribute much to formation of posts. I hope you will carry the spirit of the Shannon Post with you afterwards."

Col. Logan eulogizes Col. Shannon.

Colonel Logan, the next speaker, also eulogized Colonel Shannon, and spoke of the Post as commemorating his name. Professor Lyman emphasized the fact that men belonging to other posts would be heartily welcomed at the meetings of the new Post, and that men, after joining the Shannon Post, could transfer to their home branches of the Legion. He also announced that a committee would soon be appointed to compose a constitution.

Any ex-service men who did not sign for membership last night may still obtain blanks at the CRIMSON or at the Union, which they should fill out and turn in to David M. Little, Acting Secretary of the Post, at the Union.