THE FALL RESOLUTION

The Fall resolution in regard to Mexico outlines the only policy consistent with our self-respect and well-being. If a stable government not unfriendly to Americans is set up in Mexico it should receive every aid in order that order, peace, and prosperity be brought to the land of chaos. If such a government is not set up, the United States acting for the protection of its own citizens and as the champion of civilization is bound to "send a police force consisting of the military and naval forces of our government into the republic of Mexico to open and maintain open every line of communication between the city of Mexico and every seaport and border port of Mexico."

There is no question of the feeling of the people of the United States toward Mexico. Insult has followed insult, murder has followed murder until the title of "Civis Americans" within walking distance of the Rio Grande has almost been the equivalent of a death warrant. It seems ages since we commenced "watchfully waiting." If there were ever any virtue in that milk and water policy it has long since passed away.

It is no less true that in this particular sphere of international irritation we are the representative of the rest of the civilized nations. Because of the Monroe Doctrine no European nation can act in Mexico without our sanction. We are then or at any rate ought to be internationally responsible for conditions in the land of perpetual revolution.

The mandate which the Fall resolution would in effect create would be entirely in accord with the provisions for mandatories under the League of Nations. Further, it would be backed by precedents of long standing.

Moreover, such a mandate would be of the greatest material benefit to the inhabitants of Mexico. War may be an amusing national industry but it is rarely a profitable or healthy one. Under the protection of this country Mexicans should lead a happier existence than they have these many decades.

Our own honor, international obligations and the interests of the country itself demand that we aid in setting the Mexican house in order and keeping it in order.