ROOSEVELT DAY

Yesterday was the 63d anniversary of the birth of Theodore Roosevelt. While many states have already officially proclaimed October 27th as Roosevelt Day, Massachusetts apparently has not yet done so. For while New York City saw fit to observe the date with numerous meeting, banquets, and a pageant, the University, which likes to speak of the late ex-president as the "greatest Harvard man", let the day pass without any mention, official or otherwise. But would it not be worth while to ascertain whether undergraduate opinion is not in favor of observing the date by some simple annual ceremony or testimonial? Many of our national and state holidays serve to commemorate men, or events, which now retain but little hold on the sentiments of the people. Theodore Roosevelt, however, is a character who is very much alive in the hearts of all Americans; and while it is beyond our province to advocate a national observance of his birthday, we sincerely urge that it be fittingly commemorated at Harvard in the future.