TALKS ON "REAL RELIGION"

Dean C. R. Brown Says Faith in "Headquarters" Keeps Up Morale--Religion Consists in "Reverent Belief in God"

"Religion", said the Reverend Charles Reynolds Brown, D.D., Dean of the Yale School of Religion, last night in his talk to the Freshmen, on "The Real Religion", "consists not in the performance of certain set rites, though this is a part of it; and not in holding a given body of doctrines or beliefs, though this also is a part; nor in under going any tremendous emotional experience, though this may serve as a means of approach; but it consists in having a reverent belief in God, a spirit of good will to men, and an aspiration of good will to men, and an aspiration to all that, is highest and best in life."

Dean Brown compared life to a battle in the World War. In the battle the private soldier knew little of the progress of the fight, but his faith in headquarters kept up his morale. "In the battle of life," said Dean Brown, "each of us is like the soldier; we cannot tell how the campaign against evil is going, but we have faith in headquarters which enables us to keep up our morale."