GORE COMES OUT AHEAD IN AUTUMN ATHLETICS

Large Lead Assures Victory Although Handball Results Are Not Yet in--Smith Ends Second With Standish Last--Tie for Second in Football

As a result of the interdormitory contests held this fall among the three Freshman Dormitories, Gore has won the autumn interdormitory athletic championship and consequently will have its name engraved under the heading "Autumn 1921" on the permanent dormitory shields in the three Common Rooms.

Although the series is not absolutely completed since handball still remains to be played, Gore holds a lead which cannot be overcome in the remaining contest.

This fall Gore scored 33 points, winning first place in crew, football and tennis and third in cross-country. Smith stood second with 28 points, placing first in cross-country, second in crew and tennis, tieing Standish for second place in football. Standish failed to place first in any of the sports but stood second in cross-country, tied for second place in football, and finished third in crew and tennis.

During the fall, '37 numerals were awarded to Freshman teams, 21 of these being to football men, 15 to soccer players and one to Byron Cutcheon, who finished third in the cross-country meet with Yale. Standish received five points toward the championship by having eleven men win insignia; Gore was a close second with ten, while Smith took third place with six. The remaining ten men did not live in any of the halls and hence were not counted in the award of points.

The interdormitory football series resulted in the title going to Gore, Smith and Standish finishing in a deadlock for second place which there was not time enough to play off. The winning team conquered Smith 3 to 0 and Standish 7 to 3, while the latter halls each won one contest from the other.

The Thomas M. Slocum '90 crew cup has been transferred from Standish to Smith as a result of the interdormitory autumn regatta which was held on October 27, the first crew race being featured by a very close finish, Smith crossing the line first, with Gore second and Standish last. Owing to the excellent showing of her lower crews, however, in the final interdormitory scoring Gore took the lead and nosed out Smith with a total of 19 points as against 17. Since Standish had only a first and second crew, only six points went to her, the first crew placing last in its race and the second crew winning the brush in its class.

The points scored by the three dormitories this fall were:

Gore.  Smith.  Standish.Rowing,  19  17  0Football,  5  2  2Cross-country,  1  5  3Tennis,  5  3  1Numeral men,  3  1  5Totals,  33  28  1