BUILD A POOL

Successive defeats contain small encouragement for a team that is handicapped in its development by an utter lack of proper facilities. Swimming at Harvard is constantly waging an uphill fight for the reason that few men care to come out for a sport, provision for which is so palpably neglected. The absence of a pool here is directly responsible for the scanty interest displayed in swimming and the resultant failure of the team to score even a few victories over its opponents.

A long trolley ride to the Boston Y. M. C. A. and the difficulties encountered in practice once on the scene, are formidable obstacles to a successful performance on the part of the squad. Comparison with Yale's magnificent Carnegie Pool is ludicrous. Other colleges, regardless of their size, recognize the importance of swimming, and possess pools of their own. Brown and Columbia Universities require a test of proficiency in the water to secure a degree. Harvard stands alone in its apathy.

There is an urgent need for the construction of a building which shall fill the college's greatest need, including the means for various forms of light exercise and preferably two tanks, one for instruction and one for competitive purposes. Talk and excuses for its postponement have reigned long enough: only a demand by undergraduates and interested alumni can arouse action. The sooner this desire is forcibly expressed, the sooner can we reach the standard set by other universities in swimming which normally ranks high among the minor sports.

The nucleus of a real team exists at present in spite of the disheartening struggles which its members are undergoing. If the sport is not to die out entirely, immediate steps should be taken to support its progress. For until the college provides adequate and accessible equipment, swimming must continue to suffer as a sport and to reflect on Harvard's reputation in athletics.