AN APPEAL TO REASON

According to a three column article in a recent edition of a Boston newspaper, a group of prominent graduates have expressed the desire to have a combined clock and bell tower erected in the Yard as a war memorial. This plan will at once commend itself to the undergraduate intelligence, for by it we may the more easily regulate our lives. In order that we may derive the full benefit from its establishment, we suggest that when the tower is in operation strenuous efforts shall be made to have it mark the important points in the undergraduate day. Beside the usual quarter hour chime, which will remind even the most abstracted instructor of the fitting moments, and an appropriate peal to mark the end of each lecture, we recommend that the proper authorities see to it that the bell be rung without fail every weekday at seven o'clock in the morning to enable the conscientious student to be on hand for his first class. The Department of Psychology has informed the CRIMSON that a series of rapid peals repeated at frequent intervals during a period of five or ten minutes will produce the most satisfactory results.

An additional advantage of the bell tower proposed, and one in which the Department of Music will be interested, is the possibility that at Sunday Service Dr. Davison may be induced to play the prelude upon the chimes. On weekdays the call to worship may be more easily bounded by some such means as ringing the bell continuously for approximately five minutes before the hour of the service. Finally, as regularity is of the utmost importance, we venture to recommend that any possibility of omission be forestalled by the use of one of the very best automatic devices.