WALSH--ON POLITICS

"Don't blight your career by becoming mayor of your home city" Senator Walsh is reported to have said recently at Georgetown University. Coming from a man who has twice served as governor of his state and is now serving in Congress, this statement is likely to have disastrous effects. Far better to reverse it and say, "Don't blight your home city by refusing to work in its interests."

Municipal administration has always been a weak point in American government, for the obvious reason that the best men refused to take an interest in it. It is an unfortunate fact that the financial returns are at present insufficient, and still more unfortunate that we have not, as in England, a spirit of civic patriotism that draws educated and able men into politics. We have had to pay for our lack of interest by putting up with a dozen Curleys, Hylans and Thompsons for every executive of real ability like Nathan Matthews and John Purroy Mitchell. If Senator Walsh rightly interprets the sentiment of American voters, if they prefer to see college men who ought to be able to become intelligent reformers, avoid the problem, then we shall have plenty of time to keep on paying the bill for incompetency and graft.

The objection to entering city politics always raised by the more capable class of men is that it is a dirty game. Obviously the only way to clean up the situation is to get into the fight; and no one can expect to win a hard fight without acquiring a few bruises. As for the self respecting man who values a clean record, he will be none the worse off for a few hard knocks. In spite of what Senator Walsh says, no remedy can be found in discouraging the college man from entering politics. There must be more than the occasional bold pioneer of today; the college graduate in public offices should be the usual thing tomorrow. Then, perhaps, the question of higher salaries can be discussed--not while the offices are in the hands of incompetent men. With city government in its present deplorable state, it should require only a few strong leaders to start the much-needed movement toward reform. Even Senator Walsh tacitly admits that conditions could be bettered, while at the same time he advises against the one thing that could bring about that betterment. So long as this attitude continues to exist just so long will city politics be the black sleep of the American environmental system.