REGULATION RULES

On Wednesday, November 29th, the University soccer team will take the earliest possible train for New York. The next day, Thanksgiving, they play the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. They board the Pullman again that night to get back to Cambridge in time for their first classes on Friday as required by the rules of the College. Immediately afterwards they return to Philadelphia where they are scheduled to meet Haverford on Saturday afternoon. Finally, they take the Midnight back to Cambridge that evening. Altogether two days and two nights of traveling with two soccer games and a morning of classes sandwiched in between.

Obviously, such an arrangement as this is unsatisfactory to everybody concerned. If the three hours of classes on Friday are important enough to warrant a flying trip from Philadelphia the Saturday classes are equally important and the Saturday game should be cancelled. If on the other hand, it is not the classes in question, but only the principle of preserving the inflexible rule that all undergraduates must attend their first college exercise after a vacation, then an exception in favor of the soccer team seems reasonable. A law kept merely for its own sake is unfortunate. In this case the spirit may be maintained intact, although the letter is changed. At any rate, the present compromise satisfies no one and means that the soccer team must spend fourteen extra hours on the train.