WAKEFIELD DEFEATS DIXON IN SQUASH TOURNAMENT

Wins Place in Finals by Gaining Three Out of Five Games--Sets Fast Pace and Scores on Kill Shots--Hinkle and Ingalls to Play at 2

Channing Wakefield 2L. won a place in the finals of the fall squash racquets tournament yesterday afternoon by defeating W. P. Dixon '25 15-6, 11-15, 11-15, 15-11, 15-9. The outcome of the match was in doubt within seven points of the end, and the play was the most brilliant that the tournament has thus far produced.

In the first game Wakefield had little difficulty in overcoming his opponent but in the next two games Dixon steadied down and, although. Wakefield showed a fine style of play, Dixon was able to hold him in check. The pace was too fast to be long maintained, however, and Dixon had to concede Wakefield the fourth game, making the score-even. The fifth was-nip and tuck up to 9-8 with Wakefield in the lead, but here he unloosed several clever shots which won him the game and match.

Dixon played steadily and relied on wearing out his opponent, since he was seldom able to make a kill shot, but Wakefield beat him at his own game by his superior endurance.

In the lower half of the draw Captain E. M. Hinkle '23 will meet D. S. Ingalls 3L. today at 2 o'clock.

Joseph Wood has been appointed, assistant coach of baseball at Yale.