PROMISING MATERIAL FOR 1923 FENCING TEAM

Coach Danguy Has Four Letter Men Returned From Last Year--Lane Brothers Experienced Foilsmen--Daily Practice Starts After Christmas

The fencing squad, which is now meeting for practice three times a week at Hemenway Gymnasium, has already given promise of much good material that may be highly developed by the time the team has its first match in February. Although the schedule has not as yet been officially approved, it will certainly include meets with Columbia, West Point, M. I. T., Dartmouth, University of Pennsylvania, and numerous other colleges. Coach J. L. Danguy, who is now beginning his fourth season at the University, will not start daily practice until after the Christmas recess.

Four letter men have returned this year--Captain E. H. Lane '24, E. L. Lane '24, C. J. Shearn '23, and J. K. Watson '23. The Lane brothers will constitute the greatest strength of the foils team, and a third man will be chosen in February from the many candidates now competing, of whom the most promising at present are F. M. James Jr. '25 and Rolland Fleer '24.

Swordsmen to Practice With B. A. A.

The dueling swords team is not so satisfactorily situated, since this department of fencing requires far more experience and training than work with the foils. Shearn and Watson are at present the only men with any degree of skill with the swords, so that Coach Danguy's gravest problem is to develop more men for this team. After the Christmas recess the swordsmen will hold part time practice with the Boston Athletic Association squad, but the foilsmen will work only at the Hemenway Gymnasium.

Among the former members of the University team that have visited practice recently to assist in the coaching of the players are Burke Boyce 1G., William Russell 3S.L.A., S. S. Kurtz 2G., and J. S. Barss 1G.

Tournament in Progress

A round-robin tournament is now in progress in which all members of the squad are participating, and later in the season a cup will be given the winner of a novice tournament, which will be held for men who have fenced for two years or less.

More Freshmen have chosen fencing for their compulsory physical training this year than ever before, for over 25 first year men are now receiving instruction in the fundamental positions and lunges. In the spring a few men from the Freshman squad will be taken up to practice with the University team, but will not be allowed to take part in meets until their Sophomore year. After the team has finished the regular schedule, it will enter the intercollegiate contests in April.