RIFLE SEASON TO OPEN WITH MEETING TUESDAY

Prospects Good With Only One Member of Last Year's Team Lost by Graduation--To Practice at Smith Halls Range--Nine Matches in Schedule

The rifle team will open its season next Tuesday with a meeting of all candidates for the University and Freshman teams at Holworthy 3 at 7.30 o'clock. Practice will begin immediately thereafter in the range in the basement of Persis Smith Hall. The range will be open daily from 2 to 6 o'clock, and every candidate will be expected to hand in one target a week. No coach has been appointed as yet but there is a possibility that there will be one later in the season. The season will run from January 5 to March 23 and will include nine matches for the University and eight for the Freshman team. All matches are to be held by telegraph as has been the custom for several years. The definite schedule has not yet been approved by the Athletic Committee.

All But One Man Back

The prospects of a successful season are brighter than they have been for several years. Only one member of last year's team, R. E. Wheeler '22, has been lost by graduation, and eleven veterans may be counted upon. These are: J. M. Begg '24, A. D. Best '24, Robert Brandt '23, W. O. Clark '23, W. H. Forbes '23, H. H. Fuller Jr. '23, J. B. Paine Jr. '23, F. T. Potter '24, Donald Maxwell '23, J. J. Sack '23. These men, reinforced by the members of last year's Freshman team will provide exceptionally good material from which to form a strong team this year.

The University rifle team has recently declined an invitation to become a member of the Intercollegiate Rifle Association on the grounds that its regular schedule of meets was all that it can adequately handle, and because the regulations of the Association require shooting prone, sitting, and standing while the University team has invariably shot from the prone position only and was unwilling to change its methods.