INTENDED AS MEMORIALS TO UNIVERSITY DEAD

DARING IN CONCEPTION AND VIVID IN COLORING

Mr. John Singer Sargent, Honorary '16, has finished work on his two mural paintings on either side of the Memorial Room in Widener Library. They were unveiled Wednesday, in a quiet manner with no ceremony.

The University murals are intended as a lasting memorial to the Harvard men who fought and died in the World War. Mr. Sargent has been at work on them at intervals for several years past.

The decorations consist of two oblong panels, arched at the top, and in plain view from either the top or the bottom of the main staircase. They are uniform, in shape and design, with the three windows that flank the stairway. The light, coming freely from both sides, gives the visitor ample illumination to study the figures with care from the balcony, which is on a level with the paintings. In Mr. Sargent's other Boston murals, the lighting and position are such that careful study is not convenient.

The central figure of the panel at the left is a wounded soldier, bearing in his arms the figures of Death and Victory. Death is represented by a drooping figure enveloped in a black cape and hood, while Victory is a female form bearing branches of palm leaves, and held aloft by huge gray wings. On the ground beneath the feet of the three are the bodies of fallen soldiers. In the topmost section of the panel, Mr. Sargent has represented two archangels with trumpets proclaiming victory, while on scrolls flying from the trumpet heads are inscribed the words "Death and Victory".

Column of Marching Soldiers

The panel at the right is technically a more daring attempt. The artist has represented a life like column of marching soldiers in uniform, blending realistic details with symbolic. The file of men crosses the panel diagonally from upper right to lower left, marching forward until they are almost life-size in the foreground. Alongside the marching column appear the symbolic figures of three women, on an heroic scale, grasping the outstretched hands of the soldiers. In the arms of the foremost, who is dressed in a blue cape and red liberty cap, there lies a slumbering infant. Behind her marches an older figure, her half-veiled face and drooping posture expressive of great sorrow. She bears in one hand a broken sword while her arm is held by two soldiers. The third female figure stands near the center of the panel, in a pose of deflant encouragement.

In the midst of the column of marching men a standard-bearer holds a large American flag, which serves as background for a great American bald eagle, that hovers over the men with spread wings, open beak, and outstretched talons. Below and behind the whole scene is the deep blue background of the ocean. The tones of this panel are more vivid than of the other, the colors of the flag serving as a dominant keynote.

It is understood that the artist's detailed interpretation of his paintings, such as have been printed for the Boston murals, will be available soon.