WINTER SPORTS PROGRAM TO BEGIN NEXT MONDAY

Freshmen May Sign Up for Boxing, Fencing, Handball, Basketball, Wrestling and Gymnasium Work--Larger Demand for Lockers Than Ever Before

The Department of Physical Education will begin its winter program for Freshmen next Monday, November 6. Before that time all men who have not signed up for some winter sport and whose fall sport is over should do so at 6 Wadsworth House.

Fall track will end on Monday except for those who wish to continue work on field events. These men should work out on Soldiers Field between 1.30 and 3.30 in the afternoon. Cross-country will, of course, continue until the completion of the schedule.

The University Squash Courts will be open in the evenings hereafter to relieve the present congestion and to give men more leeway in the matter of hours for exercise. Men may play either on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday or on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 11 to 1 o'clock. Six new courts are being added at the Squash Courts Building to increase the facilities. These will be closed to all but Freshmen on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but on other days will be open to all the rest of the University. Mr. Henry Cowles, University squash coach, is to be assisted by J. B. Field 3L.

Mr. Frank Jedlinski will have charge of wrestling again this year. Both Freshmen and University candidates will work out at the Freshman Gymnasium this year instead of at Hemenway, the latter, of course, not starting work until early in December.

The boxing room is this year to be located in the former wrestling room at Hemenway to give more room for the increased number of classes, of which Mr. William Shevlin will take charge.

There is every indication that facilities this year will be taxed to their utmost, judging from the demand for lockers at Hemenway and the Squash Courts. Whereas last season 765 had engaged lockers in Hemenway by October 31, there are now 886. At the squash courts there are 195, as against 135 last year.

The following are the names, places, and times for the activities starting on November 6:

Boxing, at Hemenway, 2, 3, 3.45, 4.30, 5.15.

Fencing, at Hemenway, 2, 2.45, 3.30.

Handball, at Hemenway, 2, 3.

Class Gym, at Hemenway, 5.

Basketball, Freshman Athletic Building, 2, 3, 4.

Wrestling, Freshman Gym. 3, 4, 5.

Indoor rowing will start at Newell Boathouse on November 13 and will run from 2.30-5.30 in the afternoon.