PRINCETON'S NEW RINK

Princeton's new Memorial Rink will be officially opened today and the entire university, like the boy in the Dutch fairy story, will don a pair of golden skates and hold celebration.

The rink is a tribute to one of the finest sportsmen America has ever known, "Hobey" Baker. On the football field or in hockey Baker was an inspiration to everyone who played with him or against him. Not only was his ability as an athlete a constant delight to watch, but his sportsmanship, the clean spirit in which he did everything, made him loved everywhere athletics meant more than the mere winning or losing of games. Five years ago he was killed when his plane crashed behind the line in France. Today Princeton rightly dedicates this memorial to him as one of the greatest of her sons.

It is appropriate that this splendid new rink should have been built by subscriptions not only from Princeton men, but from individuals throughout the country. The University has a right to be proud that it leads the list of outside colleges in helping the Baker rink to completion.

Perhaps no more appropriate memorial could have been chosen. Hockey was very close to Hobey Baker's heart and for years his Princeton teams have been forced to depend upon weather conditions or trips to Philadelphia for their ice practice. As a result, year after year Princeton hockey has developed individual stars whose ability has constantly been pulled up short by lack of practice in team-play. This winter for the first time Princeton will be able to do justice to herself on ice.