CALLS WEST VIRGINIA VANGUARD OF STRUGGLE

Mr. Roger N. Baldwin '05 Speaks to Liberal Club on Condition of Coal Miners--Mr. Pratt to Address. Members on "The New Race" Today.

Mr. Roger N. Baldwin '05, Director of the American Civil Liberties Union, speaking yesterday at the Liberal Club luncheon on "The Miners' Struggle in West Virginia" said:

"West Virginia is the Vanguard of the coming struggle that is to put to the test our institutions and our ideals. The story of the last five months of armed uprising and counter uprising with the result that 1800 men are now being tried for murder and treason is well known.

No Results from Resort to Arms

"This blind resort to arms on the part of men seeking their rights will not bring forth results, but the spirit behind it will find some more effectual means and inevitably triumph. There is little about these grim miners that can be called ethical, but they are full of a practical reality. Some solution to this problem must be found--a problem now pressing in every corner of the nation, and seen in its most violent form in West Virginia. Some process of law must be devised whereby there may be an amicable settlement between capital and labor. There must be more of a spirit of tolerance to guide us through the period of transition that we are now facing, with its inevitable industrial upheaval. The old order is being questioned as never before, and the alternative to a sane reorganization is chaos."

Phillip Walker '25 Chosen Secretary

After the discussion a ballot was taken for the election of a new treasurer and Phillip Walker '25 of North Brookfield was elected to the office.

Today at luncheon Mr. George D. Pratt, Foreign Secretary and Treasurer of the National Student Forum, will speak on "The New Race" as he calls the young people of Europe who are being quickened by the many influences of the Youth Movement.

Tomorrow evening at 6.45 President C. C. Little '10 of the University of Maine will speak on "Race Discrimination". This meeting will be open to all members of the University.