TO HOLD JAVELIN CONTEST

Will be Open to All Members of University for Stimulating Interest--Men Must Register in Blue-Book

At 3 o'clock on Monday afternoon, a javelin contest will be held on Soldiers Field that will be open to all members of the University. Men wishing to compete must enter their names in the blue-book at the Locker Building before 5 o'clock this afternoon.

The purpose of this competition is to stimulate interest n javelin throwing, especially among inexperienced men. As this is the first year that the javelin throw will be a regular event in the intercollegiate games, few American colleges have men skilled in this particular line. It is therefore an excellent opportunity for inexperienced men to take advantage of the special coaching offered at the University by Coach Jakko Mikkola. Among the most promising candidates in the javelin throw are H. C. Janin '22, R. M. C. Grunidge '24, and Malcolm Morse '24. These men have been steadily increasing the distance of their throws and are now throwing ten or twelve feet more than they were able to attain at the Winter Carnival. With the coming of warmer weather they should do considerably better.

Although there will be no regular track practice until the spring track season begins in the first week of April, Coach Mikkola will be at Soldiers Field every weekday afternoon to coach men in throwing the javelin and discus.