P. B. H. ASSOCIATION DINES ITS WORKERS

Annual Reception for Social Service Committee Last Night--Speakers Point Out Benefits of Settlement Work --Mr. Robert Woods Chief Guest

The annual dinner of the Social Service Committee of the Phillips Brooks House Association was held last night in the Trophy Room of the Union, Corliss Lamont '24, chairman of the Social Service Committee, presided and introduced the speakers.

Mr. G. E. Batchelder '19, treasurer of the Elizabeth Peabody House, spoke on "Social Service from a Graduate's Point of View". He explained how one's attitude toward Social Service changes on graduation. "Mutual benefit is derived from settlement work. The closer understanding gained between labor and capital leads to mutual esteem".

Mitchell Gratwick '22 was the next speaker. He explained the benefits gained by the self-discipline of Social Service. "Training men brings mutual aid".

Mr. Robert Woods, head of the South End House, praised the Phillips Brooks House workers for their activities during the year. "There is no such word as 'can't' in settlement work. When human relations are established the class gulf disappears". Mr. Woods described the work at the South End House. He spoke of the Habit Clinic in which an expert breaks bad habits in children. An excellent opportunity to study the nationality question is offered by the 24 nationalities among whom the South End House works. "There is a personal satisfaction in giving oneself to Social Service".