HAUERS AND FITTS WIN GARCELON HURDLE RACES

First of Series of High and Low Hurdle Contests Held Yesterday--Coach Tolbert Holds Time Trials for Freshmen for Andover Meet on Saturday

The first of the Garcelon hurdle races were held on the Stadium track yesterday afternoon with all of the University and Freshman hurdlers competing with the single exception of Whitney who is still suffering from an injury received in the Navy track meet. As had been expected by many Hauers, winner of the high hurdles against Yale last year, captured the minature bronze hurdle in this event, while Fitts was the prize-winner in the lows.

As but five men reported for the first race, only one heat was run, but three heats were necessary to take care of the competition in the low hurdles. The distances were only half the regular length with five barriers in each race. Hauers had to go at his fastest pace to win from Thayer in the first race while Fietcher, a Freshman, crossed the line only a yard behind the second man. The first of the three trials in the low hurdle race was won by Fitts in the fastest time of the day, with Reycroft gaining a place in the finals by crossing the line second. In the second heat Hauers got a bad start and was unable to catch Fletcher, while in the last preliminary Thayer led Hull at the tape. Hauers who could not win the prize due to the fact that no man is allowed to take more than one of the ten bronze trophies offered for competition this year, did not compete in the finals and Fitts beat Thayer by three yards with Fletcher again taking third place a yard behind Thayer.

Coach Tolbert put the runners on his Freshman squad through time trials yesterday which will play an important part in influencing his choice of the men to go to Andover Saturday. The results on the whole were satisfactory. William de Rahm, who has been out for track only a comparatively short time caused a surprise by taking the 100-yard dash from a strong field including Murphy, Field, and Ellovich. In the 220-yard dash Barker, Field, and Mahin won their respective heats, while no final was held. Jones won the 880-yard run, while in the quarter-mile Harris took the closest finish of the afternoon from Wilson and Aiken.