WEATHER PREVENTS RACES AT ITHACA

Defeat Princeton, Navy, and Pennsylvania--Seconds Lose to Tigers After Hard Battle but Win Over Annapolis

Unfavorable weather conditions caused the cancellation, Saturday evening, of the University-Cornell crew races, when rising waves on Lake Cayuga made any attempt at rowing impossible.

The water on the Lake was unusually rough at the time fixed for the races, but Coaches Howe and Hoyle kept their oarsmen on hand in hopes that the wind would die down later in the afternoon. By the time the University and Freshman crews reached the starting line, however, the shells had shipped a substantial amount of water, while the condition of the lake made it plain that all rowing was out of the question. It had originally been planned, in case of rough water, to send the boats over the mile and three quarters course in the inlet near the boathouse, but by the time the Lake course was definitely found to be unnavigable, darkness had already fallen and the race was called off.

There was still hope, however, that the rival eights might race today, and a telegram was immediately dispatched to the University authorities requesting permission for the Crimson oarsmen to stay over till Monday. No reply being received by 8 o'clock that night, Dr. Howe was offered no alternative but to cancel the event and return.

The junior University crew, pitted against the Princeton and Navy seconds over the Henley course at Philadelphia Saturday afternoon, lost a bitter struggle to the Tiger oarsmen after one of the most stirring finishes provided by the regatta. The three boats were nearly on a par for the greater part of the course, with the Crimson and Princeton battling for first place, but the Orange and Black eight came back with a driving spurt at the finish which gave it a quarter boat length's margin across the line. Navy finished in third place, a length astern the University shell.

Outdistancing one of the most formidable entry lists in intercollegiate rowing, the University third crew, including the third combination of the Navy, Princeton, and Pennsylvania, won its race at Philadelphia over the Henley distance. It was a battle all the way between the Crimson crew, stroked by Spencer, and the Navy eight, the former gaining the decision by a full boat length. Princeton and Penn finished in the order named