TRACK TEAM ELECTS BURKE 1923 CAPTAIN

Has Totaled 40 Points in Out-Door Meets--Ran Mile Against Yale in 4 Minutes, 19 4-5 Seconds

At the meeting of the University track team for its group picture yesterday afternoon at Notman's Studio, the "H" men elected John William Burke '23 of Wakefield, captain for next year. Burke is a graduate of Wakefield High School and transferred to the University last year from Notre Dame. Ineligible for athletics during 1921-22, he joined the cross-country squad last fall and won his "H" when he finished second to Douglas in the Crimson harriers' struggle with Yale.

Burke was high-scorer for the Crimson during the spring season, winning 40 points in six meets. He captured both the mile and the 880 yard runs in the Virginia, M. I. T., and Yale contests, won the mile against Virginia and the Navy; took second in it in the Princeton struggle and fourth in the Intercollegiates.

In his running against the Elis Burke reached the high point of his career this season. In the mile he passed Douglas and Wilson of the Blue on the last lap and raced to victory in 4 minutes 19 4-5 seconds. This shattered the standing University record of 4 minutes, 23 2-5 seconds and also set up a new dual meet mark.

Burke's win over Campbell of Yale in the half was one of the most thrilling things that has ever been seen in the Stadium. The Crimson runner uncovered a tremendous spurt on the last straight-away and pushed his way over the finish line a victor by inches.

During the winter season Burke was one of the most dependable of Coach Bingham's runners. He was a member of the medley relay team which won second to Princeton in the Millrose Games