NOTED GATHERING TO UNITE TODAY IN ROOSEVELT'S HONOR

President Lowell Will Make Speech of Acceptance--Tablet Gift of Roosevelt Memorial Association

The University will observe Theodore Roosevelt's birthday today with simple ceremonies at noon held before the house in which he lived during his four years in college. The memorial tablet, placed upon the house at 38 Winthrop Street, which is between the Yard and the freshman dormitories, is the gift of the Roosevelt Memorial Association, and the presentation will be by Mr. G. Washburn '80, of Worcester, a classmate of Theodore Roosevelt. President Lowell will receive the gift on behalf of the University, and the presiding officer will by Professor Albert Bushnell Hart '80, chairman for Massachusetts of the Association. President Eliot, who will be present, wrote the following inscription for the tablet:

HERE LIVED

THEODORE ROOSEVELT

DURING

FOUR FORMATIVE AND FRUITFUL

YEARS

AS A MEMBER OF

HARVARD COLLEGE

1876-1880

Among other prominent Americans expected at the meeting is Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, 71, and honorary vice-president of the Association. After the presentation a buffet luncheon will be served to invited guests by the Phoenix Club, an undergraduate organization now occupying the building.

The, association only recently published a volume, "The Americanism of "Theodore Roosevelt", edited by Hermann Hagedorn '07, who is the organization's secretary and director.

Roosevelt Books in Treasure Room

The collection of Roosevelt books and manuscripts with portraits and original drawings for political cartoons placed in the Treasure Room of the Widener Library in connection with the anniversary of Roosevelt's birthday contains and especially interesting manuscript. This is the rough draft of a letter addressed by Roosevelt to General Shafter, August 4, 1898, urging that the American troops in Cuba be immediately transported North to prevent their destruction by disease. It was written the same day as the famous Round Robin which was signed by Roosevelt and by a number of other officers. The original draft intended apparently to be used as a newspaper interview but afterwards changed over in Roosevelt's hand to the form of a letter to his commanding officer, is shown in one of the cases. This manuscript, the cartoons and most of the portraits were received by the Library in the bequest of Everett Wendell '82.