SEVEN LETTERMEN FORM MEMBERS OF BALL TEAM

Coach Slattery Handicapped by Weak Pitching Staff--28 Games Necessitate Average of Three Contests a Week During Whole of Season

Although handicapped greatly by the loss of eight veterans from last years team, the University baseball nine will commence practice shortly after mid-years with the prospects of a successful season in view. Seven lettermen will be on hand to form the nucleus of the nine. For the remainder of his squad Coach Slattery will have to depend largely upon the development of new material.

For the catching staff Coach Slattery will have a large group from which to pick. L. C. Larrabee '24, and Thorvald Sanchez '24, substitutes last year, will be available, while R. H. Keegan '23, catcher on the second team last year, and A. W. Samborski '25 of the 1925 team, will also make a strong bid for the position. E. L. Gehrke '24 will be the only veteran pitcher available, and it is in this department that the Crimson's greatest weakness lies. E. C. Herrmann '25, regular moundsman for the yearling team last spring. J. E. Toulmin '25, who played third base on the 1925 team, but who is also a pitcher, E. L. Brown '23, and K. N. Hill '24, will complete the pitching staff.

Only Two Veteran Infielders Remain

Of the powerful infield combination of last year, only two members, Captain George Owen Jr. '23 and Percy Jenkins '24, will be on hand. Captain Owen will undoubtedly hold down first base, while J. W. Hammond, 1925 captain, is a leading contender for the keystone position. Percy Jenkins '24, regular second baseman on the nine last spring, will probably be shifted to fill Captain Conlon's old position at short stop. The third base position will also be open due to the loss of E. C. Lincoln '22. For this position the likely candidates are C. C. Buell '23, who won his letter two years ago, and F. S. Hill '24.

For the outfield three letter men from last years squad are available, together with three or four good men from the 1925 nine. Lewis Gordon '24, regular of his position, while D. F. Thayer '23 and J. S. Clark Jr. '23 are the most likely contenders for left field and center field respectively.

First Game to be on April 7

A schedule of 28 games has been arranged this season, thus forcing the nine to play an average of three games a week. It is here that the pitching staff, which appears none too strong at present, will be greatly taxed. The initial game of the season will be played on April 7 with Boston University. Closely following this, the University faces the Connecticut Agricultural College and Wesleyan, a team which will probably furnish the first serious opposition.

The nine will start its annual southern trip on April 14, when it leaves for Washington for a week's stay. Contrary to previous years, the team will not go to Georgia, but will play teams in and around Washington. So far only two games have been scheduled for the trip, the first on April 17 with William and Mary College, followed by a game the next day with the Navy at Annapolis.

After its return to Cambridge at the end of the Easter recess, the team will begin the real grind of the schedule. Before the first game of the series with Princeton, the University will face, among others, three of the strongest teams of the East in Holy Cross, Dartmouth, and Lafayette.

The first game of the Princeton series will be played on May 19 at Soldiers Field, and the second on May 26 at Princeton. If a third game is necessary it will be played on June 6. The initial game with Yale will take place June 19 at New Haven, the second and third games being scheduled for June 20 and 23 respectively.

The competition for second assistant manager will start the first day of practice.