A LIGHT IN THE EAST

Lausanne conferences have waxed and waned and the threat of war has lowered black on the horizon more than once. The most recent cloud, which arose over the Turkish claim for reparations, has now been turned inside out by Venizeios and Ismet Pasha, and ministers at Lausanne believe that wisps of silver can be seen without great straining of the eyes. With both parties to the argument immovable in their convictions, the obstacle at first appeared difficult. Then the other members of the conference joined the argument. Greece acknowledged the validity of the claim, Turkey accepted the gift of Karaghatch and a piece of railroad and the obstacle was removed.

If this can be taken as an indication that Turkey is at last of a mind to gentle the high tone which she has hitherto assumed, the present Lausanne Conference may be able to complete its business satisfactorily within two or three weeks. It is possible that she has discovered that continual swinging of her war club does not bring foreign money for the development of her resources. Turks are notoriously poor farmers, manufacturers and tradesmen. They much prefer to have others perform such drab necessities of life and in view of this, their policy of refusing guarantees to foreign investors has been extremely shortsighted.

Yet by this policy and because of the war-weariness of other nations, the Turks have extracted concession after concession until national goats have about reached the end of their tethers. If Turkey has recognized this fact, the conference may be able to sail quickly and safely through the reefs which still lie before it in the Ottoman debt and the status of foreigners in Turkey.