CAPACITY PLUS

In the complaints about ticket allotments, there has been one point of agreement: the only full solution is to create more tickets. Pipe-dreams for enlarging the stadium have been plentiful but not practical. Now that a definite scheme has been proposed and is actually under consideration, there is ground for optimism. The question may be raised whether such an expenditure at this time is desirable; the answer, that the addition will eventually pay for itself in extra receipts, seems satisfactory.

The two plans proposed by Major Moore are explained on another page. Either of them will increase the present Yale game capacity by five or ten thousand. They differ only in that one proposes an elaborate substructure behind the new seats, which will replace the old locker-building. This is an ingenious suggestion; its value as substitute for the less ambitious plan will depend on the difference in cost.

Still another plan for enlargement has frequently been heard, and is perhaps worth consideration. Major Moore's two suggestions will merely put a curved end on the north to match the south, and the capacity will be only five to ten thousand more than that of the present wooden stands. But if the straight sides were extended for some distance before beginning the curve, at least twenty thousand seats could be gained. It would be necessary to move the playing field a proportional distance--for example, if the sides were extended fifty yards, the playing field would be moved twenty-five yards in order to be at the new centre. This would put the goal lines twenty-five yards farther away from spectators in the bowl seats; but even that distance would be less than from the poorer seats at New Haven, and the gain would far exceed the sacrifice. It may be noted that Major Moore's second plan could he used along with this one.

In any case, the idea of enlarging the Stadium will appeal to everyone. The only questions are the practicability and the effect a decade hence. A small addition will soon be outdated, and once the end is closed, it will be hard to find another means of expansion. Yet the larger scheme is perhaps not feasible. Major Moore's idea, with or without amendments, deserves hearty encouragement. One thing definite may be said: action is wanted at once. It will be unfortunate if this latest proposal, like the swimming pool before, is delayed by lack of agreement among the authorities.