WORKS OF CERVANTES EXHIBITED

Treasure Room Shows Translations of "Don Quixote" and Other Relics

An exhibition of various old translations and facsimiles of Cervantes' works are now in the display cases of the Treasure Room in Widener Library.

The greater part of the exhibit is given over to the more notable editions of "Don Quixote" in original translation owned by the Library. Among these are several facsimiles of first editions published between 1608 and 1616, including one of the 1608 edition on which is based the other 1100 odd editions of "Don Quixote". There is one rare copy, containing illustrations from curious copper plates by John Philips a nephew of John Milton. There is also a copy of the first English translation by Thomas Shelton, which belonged to James Russell Lowell '38, and later to Charles Eliot Norton '46. The rest of the exhibit is made up of German and French translations, a facsimile of a letter of Cervantes, and his portrait.

The collection is shown in connection with the lecture on "Cervantes" to be given by Professor J. D. M. Ford '94 on Wednesday.