Mariners All

COMMENT

With the start of the preliminary heats of the Interclass Regatte to-day the rowing season may be considered well on. This afternoon the host of watermen push off like Ulyssess' companions, and smile the sounding furrows. The crews sitting best in order may be considered top-heavy favorites.

Barges and shells and eights of varying size take to the trugid waters of the Quinnipiac where the Quinniplac flows down to the sea. The number of men competing in the Regatta is extraordinary; a few years back would have been undreamed of. Increase of interest in rowing has kept pace, or stroke, with the soaring interest spreading throughout the University in all types of sport. It is but one manifestation of the results of the much-talked-of athletics for all policy; a policy which has been developing day by day with results that are only beginning to be appreciated. What many considered a flimsy dream or a dangerous aspiration, has become a common place and a near achievement. It must be a source of great satisfaction in the men who planned and wrought to see things taking tangible shape.

Not the job is done. Even when the main structure is erected and in use, there will be odds and ends to tend to, to straighten up and tidy away or put to possible use. Last year, for example, contests in several sports between winning class teams of the University and Harvard of Princeton were promised, which, for one reason or another, never materialized in some cases there were obvious difficulties, but this year it is hoped that these can be overcome. Outside competition adds an interest, an excitement, an incentive which is both desirable and valuable. That for the near future. For today, the class crews and Father Neptune, who for once can blow bubbles that no one will desire to burst. --Yale Daily News.