STUDENTS MAY RESUME SWIMMING FROM WELD

DANGER TO DIVERS FROM SHELLS AND LAUNCHES OBVIATED

Fears that swimming from the Weld Boathouse float would be forbidden this spring were dispelled yesterday morning after a conference held in the office of the H. A. A. between Mr. Fred W. Moore '93, graduate treasurer of the H. A. A., and Mr. W. H. Geer, director of physical education at the University.

After discussing all the pros and cons of bathing from the Weld Boathouse, it was finally decided that swimmers would still be permitted to use the float, but that they would only be allowed to enter and leave the water by the east and of the float, the end farthest away from the Anderson Bridge.

Crew Managers Oppose Swimming

In past years, bathing has been permitted on every part of the float, and on warm days as many as 20 or 30 men have made use of this swimming privilege. General dissatisfaction has been felt with this scheme, however, both by athletic authorities at the University, and by the crew management, as the number of swimmers has recently interfered with the incoming crews and launches, and has presented a serious possibility of accident.

As a result, notices have been posted in the boathouse all spring forbidding all swimming from the float. The decision reached yesterday by Mr. Moore and Mr. Geer to remove these signs and allow swimming from restricted portions of the float comes as a compromise between the men who protested their wish to use the float for bathing purposes, and the crew managers who would like to eliminate the bathing altogether from the boathouse.

Danger of Accidents Minimized

It is expected that this new arrangement will greatly decrease the possibilities of accident at the float, which have always been serious in the past. With launches and shells constantly arriving at and departing from the float, there have been many narrow escapes for swimmers diving off the float and swimming in the surrounding waters. Fortunately, any actual mishaps have been avoided in the past, and, according to Mr. Geer, they may be obviated altogether, now that the bathing has been restricted to one end of the float.