DEBATERS PREPARE FOR ENGLISH THREAT

Coaches Discarded as Men Prepare for Oxford-Cambridge Invasion--Debate Is Scheduled for October 16

As a result of the trials held recently by the Debating Society, the active squad has been cut down to 12 men. This squad, under the leadership of D. W. Chapman '27, President of the Society, will start Intensive practice for the contest with Oxford, coming on October 16.

Discard Coaching

For the first time in the history of the Society, there will be no coach to prepare the team for this debate. As an experiment, the debaters will try community criticism; that is, as each man finishes speaking, criticism of his work is furnshed by the rest of the squad. In this way, criticism will be more varied, and the speaking of the team will not be moulded entirely on the judgment of one man.

As almost the entire squad la made up of men from the graduate schools, it is expected that an experienced team will be chosen to face Oxford.

Since all the Oxford debaters are graduate students, this places the two teams more on an equal footing than ever before.

To Practice Intensively

Meetings wil be held as often as possible within the next two weeks, and in all meetings every member of the squad will have practice in speaking or reading. By this system, members of the team hope to acquire the fluency and confidence which have been the principal traits of former English teams who have debated in this country.

The squad picked is as follows:

Arthur Bernhart L2, W. A. Bilikam Jr. L3, J. F. Blair L2, D. L. Dickson '27, R. S. Fanning L3, H. E. Foley GL, A. G. King '26, E. J. Metzdorf '26, H. P. Sharp L1, C. B. Strayer B1, W. A. Whitfield L2, and Barrett Williams '28.