TEAM C HAS BATTLE WITH SCRUB ELEVEN

Teams A and B Preparing for Game With Rensselaer--Seconds Score First After Team C Fumbles

While Teams A and B were engaged in routine preparation for the Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute game tomorrow, Soldiers Field saw action in a 40-minute scrimmage between Team C of the first squad and Coach Knox's eleven. The scrimmage was to all intents and purposes a regular game, with a referee and a linesman, and with reinforcements from Teams A and B, the third eleven eked out a 7 to 6 victory.

The feature of the scrimmage was the remarkable showing made by the second team, Innes and Crawford being the outstanding performers in the black shirted line-up. Both teams scored one touchdown and it was only the margin of a missed kick for goal which gave the first squad the decision.

Shapiro Shifted to Center

Hamlen was the starting quarterback for the first team with Braden, Barbee and Malick as his companions in the backfield. In the line were Fordyce and Baldwin at the ends, Simonds and Pratt at tackles, Laimbeer and Daniell at guards and Shapiro at center. Shapiro, a former guard on the 1928 Freshman team and all-scholastic guard at Brookline High School two years ago, is a new conversion to the center position and played a capable game in yesterday's contest.

Coach Knox's pick for a starting backfield consisted of Crawford at quarterback, Innes at fullback and Donaldson and North for the halfbacks. The linesmen were Rudman and Gregg, ends, Tilt and Vietor, tackles, Manly and Savory, guards, and Hayne at center.

Seconds Get Ball Early

The scrimmage started off with two exchanges of punts with neither team gaining a distinct advantage. On the third punt, Barbee, who was doing the kicking for the first team, caught the ball on the side of his foot and gave the Seconds the ball on the 17-yard line.

At this point the second team opened up its offensive and Crawford started it off by making four yards through the line. Innes followed it up by making one of the prettiest runs of the afternoon for nine yards through tackle and giving the scrubs a first down on the seven yard line. The first team held and kicked out from behind their own goal but the Seconds started again when Crawford ran the punt back 10 yards to the first team's 24 yard line. A pass from Crawford to Gregg netted a 12 yard gain and then Innes smashed eight yards through the line carrying the ball to the four yard line. The first down was made in two rushes by Donaldson and Innes and then Innes carried the ball across from about the one foot line. Crawford failed to make the goal.

The first team score came after penalties had pushed the Seconds back and Hoague had blocked a second team punt on the 14 yard line. Another off-sides penalty was then called on the Seconds, putting them back to the nine yard line and then the first team rushed the ball to the four yard line. From here they made one two yard gain and then McGlone took it across the line for a score. Moseley was called in to kick and sent the ball fairly between the bars for the winning point.